DescriptionThe plasma rifle is the perfect kiting and poking tool for gunners. The Plasma Rifle allows gunners to capitalize on their already significant mobility advantage over most classes. While lacking in the burst damage of other active weapons, the Plasma Rifle offers consistent, dependable DPS, allowing the gunner to poke down chasing close range RIGS, most notably tanks, and walking away without a scratch.
Damages a single target.
The plasma rifle is an ideal part of anti-tank arsenal, as well as hit and run compositions. Classes that rely on close range, such as gunners with supercharger builds, and tank dependent builds will find plasma rifle kiting a frustrating tactic. Combined with mobility gear like the thrusters or booster, a gunner utilizing this weapon can draw enemy attention away from farming hives while minimizing risk to itself. This type of harassment can easily bait your enemy out of position or cause the enemy to fall behind in levels.
- Allows for a steady, moderately ranged slow on targets
- Great harrassment tool minimizing risk
- Ideal hit and run weapon for drawn out fights and poking at enemy
- Makes 1v1 against tanks easy with the proper micro, which can force a tank to retreat for healing allowing the rest of your team to take objectives or engage squishier enemy units.
- Less attack speed than the assault plasma rifle, so less able to apply slows to enemies quickly
- Lacks burst damage as well as aoe making it less useful in fully engaged teamfights
- Against gunners with higher DPS weapons or longer ranger weapons the plasma rifle can lose out
- Slow is not as useful as burst damage/high dps for farming hives. The plasma rifle is catered more for pvp.
- Tanks can mitigate the CC such as the plasma assault rifles slow using crumple panels, drawing fire to allow other units to chase down or hit the gunner
- Fight fire with fire. CC such as stuns from supports or slow from mass fields can allow tanks and other units to close the gap and prevent kiting
- Another counter for tanks is to use initiation gear such as bull rush to close the gap quickly and use slow weapons such as slaggers or pulverizers to prevent escape.
- Gunners typically have similar range, mobility, and DPS. A gunner with high DPS and/or burst damage can quickly melt gunners equipped with plasma guns.